Laramie County Governmental Complex on 20th Street in Cheyenne. WTE/file

CHEYENNE – A man facing seven charges of sexual abuse of a minor pleaded not guilty Thursday in Laramie County District Court.

Camron Sherrod faces four counts of third-degree sexual abuse of a minor and three counts of second-degree sexual abuse of a minor between the ages of 13 and 15. He faces a total of more than 80 years in prison if convicted of all charges.

According to court documents, Sherrod was living in Cheyenne with family friends in late 2017 and 2018. During that time, he’s accused of initiating multiple instances of sexual contact with the 15-year-old daughter of the family.

The girl’s mother allegedly discovered texts between Sherrod and her daughter, and reported it to the Cheyenne Police Department. During the investigation, officers found text messages between Sherrod and the girl that suggested a physical relationship, and texts where Sherrod asked the girl to delete his messages to her so her mother couldn’t find them on her phone.

Sherrod was originally charged with three counts of sexual abuse tied to the incident, but those charges were dropped recently to allow for the current seven counts to be filed against him.

His trial date is set for Sept. 16.

Man pleads not guilty to stabbing

The man arrested for being part of a duo that stabbed a Cheyenne man in January pleaded not guilty Thursday in district court.

Isaac Garcia plead not guilty to a felony charge of attempted first-degree murder, and aiding and abetting aggravated assault and battery, in a January attack on Jesus Franco.

Garcia and Joseph Sera are alleged to have stabbed Franco with knives as he was exiting a car with his girlfriend outside of her home. The two fled the scene after the attack.

Garcia was arrested in March, while police are still searching for Sera.

According to court documents, Franco knew both Garcia and Sera, and the incident was tied to Franco’s previous relationship with Sera’s girlfriend. Both Franco and his girlfriend were able to identify Sera and Garcia in a photo lineup after the attack.

Franco was rushed to the hospital after the attack with stab wounds in his head, left forearm and left wrist, along with other smaller cuts on his body. He spent two days in the hospital before his release.

In 2008, Garcia was found guilty of aggravated assault and battery with a deadly weapon and of burglary. Two other charges related to the 2008 case, second-degree murder and conspiracy, were dropped.

Ramsey Scott is the Wyoming Tribune Eagle’s state government reporter. He can be reached at 307-633-3124 or rscott@wyoming Follow him on Twitter at @RamseyWyoming.

Ramsey Scott is the Wyoming Tribune Eagle’s state government reporter. He can be reached at 307-633-3124 or Follow him on Twitter at @RamseyWyoming.

comments powered by Disqus